Thursday, March 8, 2012

Asian Chicken and Banana Muffins

Looks like I've become the resident blogger now, Jenna has passed the duty on to me every time now for the past month and a half it seems like... That's okay, I did all the cooking and she didn't babysit this time so I guess I'm the only one with anything to say!

Josh is in town so I had the two of them over for dinner, and our friend Debbie joined us again too.  Good thing too, this meal was delicious!  And SUPER easy.  Guys, this is an excellent recipe for an Asian-style sauce that is really easy to make and tastes just as good, if not better, than what you get at the restaurants, so if you're in the mood for Chinese take-out, whip this up instead!

Afterward we made some banana muffins.  I had recently made these for the last ICAN gathering and they seemed to be a hit.  I know I liked them!  I had to make them again tonight, and I'm glad I did, they definitely satisfy a sweet tooth.  And the best part is they're milk- and egg-free!  So anyone needing to avoid those ingredients will be able to eat these.

I just got a package in the mail so Justin stuck Harlee in the box :)
Had to give you your Harlee picture fix.  He's just as cute as ever!  After dinner we all goofed off with him and his (well, Jenna's...) new toys.  She LOVES Yo Gabba Gabba on Nick Jr.  Why?  I have no idea.  I think it's a little strange but at least it teaches good messages!  I saw some little bath squirty toys on Amazon.com and felt like she had to have them.  You know, for when she babysits Harlee... haha.


Jenna started singing the theme song to him.  His face says it all!!  Haha :-)

Here's the recipe for tonight's dish (it's kind of similar to the Chicken Stir-Fry recipe we made, but WAY better!) :


Asian Chicken

2 tbsp brown sugar
4 tbsp honey
1/2 cup soy sauce
4 tsp powdered ginger
3 cloves minced garlic
Dash of hot sauce, or to taste
salt and pepper to taste
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into strips
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 can sliced water chestnuts
1 can bamboo shoots
1 red or green bell pepper, chopped
1 small red onion, chopped
1-2 cups snow peas
1 cup chopped pineapple

Mix together brown sugar, honey, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and hot sauce in a small bowl.

Heat oil in a large sauce pan.  Lightly salt and pepper the chicken strips and add to oil.  Brown on both sides.  Add vegetables and stir.  Let simmer until sauce thickens and chicken is no longer pink in the middle, about 8-10 minutes.  Serve with white rice and enjoy!

Banana Muffins


2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup shortening
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup mashed ripe bananas

In a large bowl, cream sugar and shortening for about 5 minutes (mixture does not get smooth).  Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with bananas, beating after each addition (the batter will be thick and sticky).  If you're having trouble getting it to turn into a batter, I added a little apple sauce to help thin it out.  You can also add milk if you'd like.  Spoon into a greased muffin tin and bake at 350 degrees 20-25 minutes (~10 minutes for mini muffins) or until a toothpick poked in the center comes out clean.  Cool in pan for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment