Friday, February 24, 2012

Brupper!

Jenna passed the torch once again - we had a late night tonight and she's got an early morning tomorrow so I offered to do the honors of blogging.  It was a long day of babysitting for her today!  I had a morning client and then I didn't have another until later in the day so I utilized her babysitting services to get a little house cleaning done.  And then we decided to run down to a cute little shop in Chester, IL, called Pinky's Sugarland, owned by Jenna's friend Dianna Mueller.  Jenna had been talking about her cake pops for a LONG time and I finally got the privilege of getting to try them and see her shop.



 It was a fun spur-of-the-moment adventure!  I feel like we almost cleaned her out though... I'm going to have to ration these cake pops out over the next month or so or I'm going to turn into one!

Anyway, we made it back just in time for me to get to my last couple of clients, during which it sounds like Harlee slept the whole time for Jenna (he sure does make this easy for her...), and I made a pit stop at IGA to get a few things for our "brupper" - breakfast for supper!  There I ran into our friend Debbie who happened to not have any plans for dinner, so we invited her to join us.  I think she's glad she did, the meal turned out great!  I'm glad she came too because she sure does a good job of cleaning up my kitchen afterwards... :-)



Here's the lineup:

Fresh squeezed orange juice - can't beat that!  It took an 8lb bag of oranges to make 3 glasses though... whew!

Bacon - I don't think I need to post a recipe for that...

Scrambled eggs - just beat about 6 eggs with maybe a half a cup of milk (I failed to measure...) and a little bit of salt and pepper and pour into a pan, cook on medium heat and stir frequently to avoid them sticking to the pan until they stiffen to your desired texture.

Hash browns - chopped some yellow potatoes and fried them in the bacon grease with some salt and pepper.  Yum!

Biscuits and gravy - for the gravy just cook about a 1/2 lb of ground pork sausage until no longer pink and drain grease, then add in about 3 cups of cream and stir in flour a little at a time until it reaches desired consistency (some like it thick, some like it runny).  I think I used about 5 tbsp of flour for ours.  Salt and pepper to taste (I threw in a tiny bit of cayenne pepper for a little extra kick) and serve over biscuits:

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
3/4 tsp cream of tartar
3/4 cup butter
1 1/4 cups milk

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt , and cream of tartar.  Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles course crumbs.  Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add milk all at once.  Using a fork, stir just until mixture is moistened.

Drop dough into 12 mounds onto a greased baking sheet (we used parchment paper) and bake for 10-14 minutes.  Serve warm.


Ah this was delicious, and VERY filling.  Probably not the healthiest of meals, but I think it's okay to splurge every great once in a while.  And now you have lots of yummy ideas for breakfast!  And I have lots of leftovers...

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment