Sunday, July 1, 2012

Kohlrabi with Cream Sauce

Geez, has it been THIS LONG since we've posted?  April, REALLY??  And it's now July...  Well, I guess our excuse is we've been busy - Jenna got her own apartment and more of a life it seems like, because she never seems to be open when I need her to babysit!  Therefore no homemade dinners together...  She didn't babysit tonight either, but I HAD to share this recipe.  I am more than pleased with it.

I joined a co-op awhile back (www.communityhelpingscoop.com for those of you who want to check it out) and I LOVE it.  TONS of fresh produce delivered to the Red Bud Y every other Thursday, all for $23!  I hardly ever shop anymore and we always have fruits and veggies on hand!

Harlee got his hands on a peach as I was putting all our goodies in the fridge...

In cases like tonight, the co-op forces me to make new things.  Like kohlrabi.  What the heck do you do with that?  Well I looked up a recipe and I must say, kohlrabi is pretty yummy!  It's like a cross between a potato and a turnip... Also with the co-op this time we got zucchini and corn, so I incorporated that into it as well.  Here ya go:



Kohlrabi with Cream Sauce

4 kohlrabi bulbs, peeled and cubed
1 ear of corn removed from cob
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1/2 cup milk
1 cup cream
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground nutmeg
2 tsp pepper
1/2 small zucchini, cubed

Place cubed kohlrabi and corn in a sauce pan and fill with water to cover.  Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook until kohlrabi can be pierced with a fork but still firm.  Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the liquid, and set kohlrabi and corn aside in a covered bowl.

Melt the butter in the same pan over medium heat.  Whisk in the flour, and stir until the mixture becomes paste-like and golden brown.  Gradually whisk the milk and reserved cooking liquid into the flour mixture, followed by the cream.  Stir until thick and smooth.  Stir in salt, nutmeg, and pepper.  **Optional: if you like your sauce a little thicker, which I do, mix a tsp of corn starch with a tsp of water and add to the sauce.**  Add in the zucchini, kohlrabi, and corn, and cook until zucchini is tender.  Serve and enjoy!

Harlee had zucchini and broccoli tonight, and I think more got ON him than in his belly!


No comments:

Post a Comment