Saturday, December 10, 2011

Our First Award! And a Great Fudge Recipe!

Hi, Jami here.  Usually Jenna writes, as I feel she has the better hand, and I take charge of photo uploads and general blog maintenance.  But, Jenna happens to be in Florida at the moment (*insert jealous grumbling here*) and, darnit, I have things to share!! :)

Such as....


We won our first award!!! Yay us!!



Thank you, Christi, at The Chapters of Our Lives for passing this along to us!  It's appropriate that she be the one to give us this award since she actually kick-started my interest in cooking in the first place.  I took a cooking class in high school and hated it because a) I had no idea what I was doing and b) I had to cram my rookie creative outlet into 50 minutes or less of class time, which ended up just stressing me out.  Thus I decided I hated cooking.  But, ever since getting my own kitchen (and more time!) and Christi convincing me that it's really not that bad, I've found that it's a lot of fun!  I love art, and I enjoy food, so it's really a great combo of the two.  Jenna enjoys it too, I think mostly the experimentation of it, so together we're destined to have a good time!

I really need Jenna and her babysitting right now though... Harlee learned a new trick...

"What are you lookin at?"

Yeah... the bouncy seat is no longer a sufficient babysitter... he is waaay too good at sitting up and there have been a few times that he's come close to just tumbling forward...

"Whoaaaa..."

Yeah.  So anyway, onto this award!

The Criteria: the Liebster Blog Awad is meant to showcase bloggers who have fewer than 200 followers. This  is all done in the spirit of the pay-it-forward.

The Rules: You must mention the link to the person who awarded you with the Liebster, and mention 5 other blogs with fewer than 200 followers who you think is worthy of the Liebster!

"Liebster' means 'favorite' or 'dearest' in German. This award, which originated in Germany, recognized up and coming bloggers! In accepting this award, I agree to:

Thank the person that gave me the award and link back to their blog.

    * Copy and paste the award to my blog
    * Reveal the 5 blogs that I have chosen to award and let them know by commenting on their blog
    * Pay it forward by awarding it to bloggers they would like to honor

The five blogs I'm passing the award along to are featured below. These are all blogs with fewer than 200 followers and that all have great ideas, projects to share, and really cute and/or inspirational blogs to read....


   (this blog is by my friend from our birth class.  she probably has more than 200 followers... but I can't tell, so I'm sharing it cuz I like it!)



Okay so that's only four.  But I figured I'd at least save one for Jenna to add in... and since she's not here, guess we'll have to wait!

On another note, I couldn't wait til she gets back to share this fudge recipe.  It's SO easy and SO GOOD, so I'm sharing it now!  I just whipped some up this morning to bring to the ICAN potluck this evening, and it seemed as though everyone liked it.  I know I did!


Mom's Easy Fudge
     (from our mom's home-ec class in high school)
2 16oz packages powdered sugar
1 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/2 cup milk
1 cup butter
1 1/2 cups chopped nuts (optional)
2 tbsp vanilla

Mix sugar and cocoa.  Add milk and butter.  DO NOT STIR.

Microwave for 4-6 minutes.  Add nuts and vanilla, mix well.  Pour into greased 9x13 pan and refrigerate until firm.


That was my mom's recipe.  My notes:  I used REAL butter, not the fake cheap margarine stuff.  It sets up a lot better with that.  Plus my uncle happily informed us that margarine is one molecule away from plastic.  ... Okay so one molecule can make a big difference, but it's still kinda creepy!  And I only had almond milk in the fridge so I used that rather than dairy milk and it worked great.  Also instead of greasing the pan I lined it with wax paper, which worked really well (and saved dishes!).

Another great fudge recipe:

Peanut Butter Fudge

1/2 cup butter
2 1/4 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup milk
3/4 cup peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar 

Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in brown sugar and milk. Bring to a boil and boil for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Stir in peanut butter and vanilla. Pour over confectioners' sugar in a large mixing bowl. Beat until smooth; pour into an 8x8 inch dish. Chill until firm and cut into squares. 


So from left to right I have female fudge (no nuts in it...), peanut butter fudge, a combo of the first two (I poured the chocolate fudge into a pan and let it set while I made the peanut butter fudge, then poured the peanut butter on top of it and let it finish chilling together), and male fudge (I added walnuts, but you can use anything you like).  Sooooo good and so easy!  I'm thinking I'll be experimenting with other recipes like white chocolate, toffee, turtle, etc etc... Don't worry, I'll share!

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Aw thanks for the link and award!! I'll try to pay it forward this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very sweet of you to think of me :)

    I had no idea you had this blog, it is super cute!!!! I want a sister lol!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you're welcome adrien and sarah! i've really enjoyed both of your blogs so i thought you deserved the award :) and yep, sarah, we've had the idea for quite some time and then finally put it into action not too long ago. it's been a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete